This week, Variety reported on AT&T’s plans to launch three new Internet streaming TV services under its DirecTV brand, later this year. The three services named DirecTV Now, DirecTV Mobile and DirecTV Preview will include live and on-demand programming from TV networks, in addition to premium add-on options.
Less than a year after launching its over-the-top HBO Now service in the United States, HBO is expanding its OTT reach to Brazil and Argentina, later this year, reported Bloomberg Business. According to CEO Richard Plepler, Brazil is already HBO’s biggest market in Latin America, with about 30 million broadband homes and 70 million TV homes.
Subscription video on demand (SVOD) services are becoming more niche offering options beyond just entertainment. Media Post reported that Peloton offers live-streaming of stationary bike spinning classes for Internet users at home. The company charges $39 for a month of live classes and claims to have 150,000 customers worldwide and has sold 25,000 bikes, translating to 50,000 in-home riders.
Additionally, Animation Magazine reported that the National Film Board of Canada (NFB) launched a new SVOD service powered by the video-sharing website, Vimeo. The service will provide subscribers with access to NFB-produced non-fiction and animated content across all Internet-connected devices.
Finally, a recent report from Ooyala highlighted that OTT services have moved to the center stage becoming an essential part of the broadcast industry, reported TV Technology. The second annual ‘State of the Broadcast Industry’ report further noted that as more pay TV providers are offering OTT services, there is an increase in broadband home growth that is helping to offset the higher programming costs and video-revenue decline.
- AT&T to Launch 3 DirecTV Internet TV Services (March 1, 2016) By Todd Spangler, Variety: AT&T is joining the over-the-top video race, with plans to launch three Internet TV services from DirecTV — including a free, ad-supported option — in late 2016.
- HBO Plans to Expand Web-Only Service to Brazil, Argentina (March 2, 2016) By Gerry Smith, Bloomberg Business: HBO sees opportunity with broadband customers in Latin America.
- The SVOD Bod: How On-Demand Muscled Into Fitness (February 27, 2016) By Wayne Friedman, MediaPost: Niche subscription-video-on-demand networks and OTT services are getting stronger and healthier, providing not just entertainment, but personal fitness options.
- NFB Launches New SVOD Shorts Service (March 2, 2016) By Mercedes Milligan, Animation Magazine: The National Film Board of Canada announces the launch of a new, subscription supported video-on-demand service powered by Vimeo
- Ooyala Sees OTT as Gateway to Broadcast’s Future (March 2, 2016) By Michael Balderston, TV Technology: Company releases second annual “State of the Broadcast Industry” report