CED Magazine reported that ARRIS collaborated with The Weather Channel to bring “Local Now” on Sling TV across all devices. The over-the-top (OTT) streaming service offers subscribers personalized weather, news, traffic and sports information based on their location.
This week, Variety reported on DirecTV’s deal to offer U.S. viewers up to 25 of this season’s Major League Baseball (MLB) games live in 4K Ultra HD (UHD). DirecTV’s coverage of the baseball games on Friday, April 15, marks the first-ever live 4K UHD telecast of an MLB game in the U.S.
Subscription video on demand services (SVOD) catering to a niche audience has become increasingly popular. Former Network USA CEO, Phil Osborn, launched AeroCinema, a new aviation-focused SVOD service, that offers more than 400 rare aviation features, documentaries, and profiles, reported Realscreen. The $4.95-a-month service is available on smart TVs as well as on mobile devices and desktops.
According to a recent study by Nielsen, video on demand (VOD) is a part of the daily viewing habits for many users around the world, regardless of their age, reported MediaPost. The study found that among the 65 percent of respondents who watch any VOD programming, 43 percent watch at least once a day. Among other findings, the study noted that movies dominate the type of VOD content viewed across all regions and generations.
Finally, Rapid TV News reported that according to a report by Enders Analysis, Netflix is on its way to reaching its goal of 80-90 million U.S. subscribers and 150 million global subscribers by 2020. The report also noted that another round of international expansion will double the media giant’s global base over the next five years outpacing all of its competitors.
- Arris and The Weather Channel Team for “Local Now” OTT Streaming Service (April 14, 2016) By Laura Hamilton, CED Magazine: Arris announced today that it has collaborated with The Weather Channel to bring “Local Now” to Sling TV across all devices.
- DirecTV to Carry MLB Network Games in 4K Ultra HD (April 12, 2016) By Todd Splangler, Variety: AT&T-owned satellite service offers U.S. subscribers first live baseball games in UHD format.
- Aviation SVOD service AeroCinema takes flight (April 12, 2016) By Daniele Alcinii, Realscreen: As the saying goes, “If you build it, they will come.”
- VOD An Every Day Affair For Many (April 11, 2016) By Jack Loechner, MediaPost: According to Nielsen, Video-On-Demand is becoming a part of daily viewing habits for many around the world, regardless of age.
- 2015 surge sets Netflix on track for 150MN customers by 2020 (April 12, 2016) By Joseph O’Halloran, Rapid TV News: Record growth in 2015 shows Netflix to be well on its way to achieving its goal of 60-90 million US streaming customers and a global base of 150 million by 2020 according to a report by Enders Analysis.