As you know by now, more content on more devices means increased bandwidth, infrastructure and efficiency needs…and this trend only goes up and to the right from here. Today, South Korea’s SK Broadband is added to an impressive roster of service providers (Comcast, Time Warner Cable, WOW!, GCI) deploying our E6000 Converged Edge Router addressing network bandwidth demands. SK Broadband is launching a 1GB data service and chose the E6000 platform as a solution to deliver higher speeds, while keeping cost and space requirements low.
Check out a recent demonstration of the E6000’s downstream capability (64 channels per port), DOCSIS and video capabilities and hitless failover performance from SCTE.
With the holiday season upon us, many consumers will upgrade to the latest and greatest connected devices. But are you up-to-speed on the newest technology? Tom’s Guide offered an explanation of the benefits and future of 4K, which is expected to see more available content in 2014.
This past week, Technavio short-listed our Media Gateway as part of its list of products projected to drive growth in the global set-top box market and FierceCable included us in its list of Top 6 Super DVRs.
Of course, TV Everywhere continues to grab headlines with FierceOnlineVideo discussing cable operators’ interest in giving subscribers access to shows on connected devices. And Rapid TV News featured data from Nielsen revealing that more than 50 million people engage with second-screen content each day – good news for brands and advertisers as consumers increase their media consumption.
With the holiday travel season coming up, do you have any plans to use multiscreen content? Let us know in the comments below!
- What Is 4K TV? (Nov. 21) By John Quain, Tom’s Guide: Ready for a new buzzword? 4K is the biggest thing in TV nowadays — literally. This format offers four times the resolution of HDTV, and is designed especially for very large TVs, some with screens as large as 80 inches.
- Top 8 Set-Top Box Manufacturers (Nov. 15) By Staff, Technavio: The Global Set Top Box market is becoming more versatile and dynamic as it provides several benefits to customers, such as pause and store facilities and easy deployment options.
- Arris Media Gateway – Top 6 Super DVRs (Nov. 21) By Steve Donohue, FierceCable: Arris was one of the first set-top vendors to deploy a super DVR, a product it developed after its 2009 acquisition of Paul Allen’s Digeo.
- TV Everywhere’s game of catch-up (Nov. 20) By Josh Wein, FierceOnlineVideo: TV Everywhere may finally be starting to get somewhere. The pay-TV industry has tried for years to get its streaming video act together.
- Second-screen usage drives new online, mobile advertising investment (Nov. 22) By Michelle Clancy, Rapid TV News: Second-screen usage is the latest way US consumers engage with television content. According to the latest Nielsen data, 75% of smartphone and tablet users are engaging with second-screen content more than once a month as they watch TV.
According to the 2013 NAMIC AIM and WICT PAR Cable Telecommunications Industry Workforce Diversity Survey, the proportion of full-time female employees in Cable is lower than it was 10 years ago. Since 2003, the industry has seen a 5% decline, dropping from 39% to 34%, which is below the national benchmark….
At the same time, there are so many opportunities for women not only in our industry but across the entire technology landscape. In fact, our own Sandy Howe, who now leads Marketing and Communications for ARRIS, along with Market Development, was recently part of an esteemed panel of industry leaders offering advice for women in tech.
We were able to catch up with Sandy @SCTE and ask about these opportunities, including her thoughts on how to take advantage of them. See below for the video.