It’s that time of the year again… Time to celebrate holiday traditions and reconnect with family and friends, making a great theme for this week’s news. GigaOM shared that telcos and cable companies added more than 500,000 US broadband subscribers in the third-quarter of 2013 alone, largely due to consumers’ usage of video chat and mobile applications.
This week, Multichannel News shared that South Korea’s SK Broadband will use our E6000 Converged Edge Router to help power its upcoming 1-Gig service. Looking ahead to 2014, Investor’s Business Daily recently profiled ARRIS, discussing our role in supporting future opportunities for cable and telco TV companies by leveraging IPTV to deliver video and data through the most modern set-top devices.
Additionally, AllThingsD shared a new report from Nielsen suggesting Americans are watching more TV than ever, with increases in the number of viewers watching live TV and timeshifted TV. Finally, Business2Consumer offered projections for Social TV, noting that 2014 will be a year of more exact data and innovation in the field.
What are you watching for this next year? Let us know in the comments!
- The U.S. now has over 83 million broadband subscribers (Nov. 26) By Om Malik, GigaOM: Large phone and cable companies added nearly half-a-million broadband subscribers during the third quarter of 2013. The U.S. seems to be on its way to 100 million subscribers, and Comcast seems to be the big winner of the broadband sweepstakes.
- SK Broadband Taps Arris For Planned 1-Gig Service (Dec. 4) By Jeff Baumgartner, Multichannel News: SK Broadband of South Korea said it will tap the Arris E6000 Converged Edge Router to help it power a coming 1 Gbps broadband service and other “enhanced entertainment experiences.”
- TV’s Next Big Thing Turns Up Growth For Arris Group (Dec. 4) By Marie Beerens, Investor’s Business Daily: Arris Group, an equipment provider to cable and telco television, is poised to benefit as those industries increasingly pipe programming to TVs by Internet protocol instead of more traditional means.
- Surprise! You’re Watching More TV Than Ever. (Dec. 4) By Peter Kafka, AllThingsD: No one watches TV anymore. You don’t, and no one you know does, and it’s just a matter of time before the TV Industrial Complex folds in on itself and disappears. Except … it turns out that people are. Still. Watching. TV.
- Social TV: In 2013, Improved Reporting Accuracy and Increased Growth Internationally (Dec. 1) By Ron Mwangaguhunga, Business2Community: According to the recent report “Social TV Market: Global Advancements Forecasts and Analysis (2012-2017)“, the social TV ecosystem is expected to grow from $151.14 billion in 2012 to $256.44 billion by 2017. Further, the pace of spending for TV ad dollars is slowing, while mobile video ad growth is rising.
As you know by now, more content on more devices means increased bandwidth, infrastructure and efficiency needs…and this trend only goes up and to the right from here. Today, South Korea’s SK Broadband is added to an impressive roster of service providers (Comcast, Time Warner Cable, WOW!, GCI) deploying our E6000 Converged Edge Router addressing network bandwidth demands. SK Broadband is launching a 1GB data service and chose the E6000 platform as a solution to deliver higher speeds, while keeping cost and space requirements low.
Check out a recent demonstration of the E6000’s downstream capability (64 channels per port), DOCSIS and video capabilities and hitless failover performance from SCTE.
More than half of what we stream over the Internet is video, according to Sandvine and traffic consumption in all regions continues to grow at a rapid rate.
With this amazing growth in video consumption over the Internet, it’s no surprise that service providers are looking for new ways to expand capacity of their broadband network in ways that are both economical and seamless. That’s why we introduced our E6000 Converged Edge Router platform last year. It uses an incredibly efficient architecture and an integrated, hitless sparing design to keep providers ahead of today’s IP consumption trends, while ensuring a reliable and scalable solution for future services and network demands.
Since the E6000’s introduction in June of 2013, Comcast, Time Warner, WOW!, GCI and others have demonstrated why it is the leading CCAP capable platform in the industry—using it to deliver high-quality content to over a million subscribers. This rapid success speaks to the demand and stability of the E6000.
Todd Kessler, our VP of CMTS/CER Product Management, recently demonstrated the E6000’s impressive downstream hardware capability (64 channels per port), DOCSIS and video capabilities, and hitless failover performance at SCTE.
The proof is in the numbers: one million reasons and counting…
ARRIS is focused on delivering solutions to optimize bandwidth for more video and content across a plethora of connected devices. That’s why we’re excited about today’s announcements with WOW! and GCI.
Both have made our E6000 Converged Edge Route a core component for their ever-growing network requirements. Our own Todd Kessler discusses E6000 and what it can do for you.
The world’s largest to small and mid-sized service providers are deploying E6000 to deliver these game-changing entertainment and business service experiences. For those of you here at SCTE, check out our E6000 at booth #868.
If you can’t make it over to booth #868, we’re bringing our booth to you. Take a virtual tour with our own Jonathan Ruff. Whether its network innovations, video gateways or our latest cloud and multiscreen solutions, Jonathan’s got you covered in this brief tour.
But if you’re still here and have time to chat, swing by our booth. We’d love to connect!
We’ve been busy this year, but that doesn’t mean we don’t have things to talk about! This industry changes on an almost a weekly (or is it daily?) basis. And we feel passionately about what’s happening and what it means to our customer and the consumer. Ultimately, that’s what we’re all about – enabling tomorrow’s entertainment and communications experiences.
Stay up to speed on headlines from our front lines, updates on our growing portfolio, and fresh insights from the people at ARRIS. Please bookmark us or add us to your RSS feeder.
We look forward to connecting with you.