Re/code reported that Comcast is planning to offer cellular services, using spectrum provided by Verizon. This move will enable Comcast to provide its customers with Internet, TV, home phone and cell service. It is likely that Comcast will test out Wi-Fi™ first with Verizon before rolling out other services commercially.
Following the footsteps of a number of media companies that launched over-the-top (OTT) services, Disney is planning to introduce a subscription streaming service next month in the UK called the Disney Life. According to BBC News, the service will include movies, TV series, books and music.
RCR Wireless published an analyst’s take on the growth of the Wi-Fi market and the opportunities ahead. The story noted that as service providers are evolving their business models to better meet consumer demands, we will see the creation of new Wi-Fi-based services.
According to Future Market Insights, the global Video on Demand (VOD) market is expected to reach $263 billion by 2016, reported Rapid TV News. While North America remains a major market for VOD services, Asia Pacific is on its way to become the world’s second largest VOD market by 2020.
MediaPost covered a study by Altman Vilandrie & Co., showing the importance of TV Everywhere to Millennials. Of note, 54 percent of younger Millennials are more likely to subscribe to a service provider offering TV Everywhere capabilities.
- Comcast Moves Closer to Offering Cell Service, Activates Deal With Verizon (October 21, 2015) By Ina Fried Re/code: In recent months, the cable giant notified Verizon it intends to exercise its option to resell cellular service using the carrier’s network, according to a source familiar with the company’s plans. Comcast and several other cable operators got the option several years back as part of a spectrum deal with Verizon.
- Disney to launch Netflix video streaming rival in UK (October 22, 2015) By Chris Foxx, BBC News: Disney is to launch its own subscription-based video streaming service in the UK.
- Analyst Angle: High-growth areas for Wi-Fi based services (October 21, 2015) By Adlane Fellah, WiFi360, RCR Wireless: As more Wi-Fi services enter the market, consumer demand increases.
- Asia on course to become second largest VOD market (October 20, 2015) By Rebecca Hawkes, Rapid TV News: The Asia Pacific is set to become the world’s second largest video-on-demand (VOD) market after the US, accounting for over 22% of the US$103 billion global industry by 2020.
- TV Everywhere Key To Attracting Millennials (October 19, 2015) By Aaron Baar, MediaPost: Millennials might be more inclined to subscribe to pay television services if their current (or potential) providers were to make a more concerted effort to demonstrate how the services can be used anywhere, on any device.
The ARRIS Engineering Design Center in Monterrey, Mexico had two very special guests last week. ARRIS Racing drivers Mara Reyes and Abraham Calderón, visited the office for a tour, a meet-and-greet session with autographs and photographs, speeches, and a raffle of prizes.
The tour included a visit to the Engineering area for a demo of the mechanical design work being done there, along with the Labs area for an explanation of what goes on in the departments of Reliability, Product Verification, and Materials Failure Analysis.
Many connections were drawn between the teamwork going on in ARRIS Monterrey and what it takes to be part of a competitive racing team, getting the most out of the machinery and vehicles while quickly troubleshooting when necessary.
The enthusiasm from our team was greatly appreciated by the drivers who learned a lot more about how ARRIS also maintains a high level of performance and speed. Not only were many wearing ARRIS Racing gear, but they also demonstrated their support by giving Mara and Abraham a framed photograph of the local team and a signed banner wishing them luck in Sunday’s race – designated the ‘ARRIS Gran Prix’ — and for the rest of the season.
The Telcel-Telmex Racing Team also invited employees to a go-kart track that evening where they could all show off their driving skills and at high-speeds around the track. The fun didn’t stop there because, many were at the Super Copa Monterrey race on Sunday, 11 October, sitting together in ARRIS orange in support of our drivers.
And this team spirit seemed to help as Abraham & Mara crossed the finished line together 5th & 6th, respectively, both scoring in the Top-10 at the ARRIS Gran Prix at Super Copa Monterrey!
Today is the start of Cable-Tec Expo 2015, and ARRIS is right at the center of it. We’re showcasing the technology behind the latest industry developments—including Gigabit speeds, whole-home Wi-Fi, next-generation CCAP and DOCSIS® 3.1, and more.
And we’ll also review their implications for broader industry initiatives as well as new business models and network architectures—such as Energy 2020, the set-top and connected home evolution, and the future of Hybrid Fiber-Coaxial networks.
If you’re here at SCTE, be sure to stop by booth #551 to check out our demos and speak with our experts, or head over to one of our workshops at the show.
For those of you who weren’t able to make it this year, see below for a few of the great pictures from day one:
Today, we introduced an enhanced HFC Outside Plant Operational Playbook to help our customers get the most out of their HFC networks—from improving operational efficiencies to optimizing performance for next-generation services.
These guides offer a centralized resource for standardizing crucial processes and providing documentation across plants and regions. They can replace dozens of disparate third-party manuals and integrate with existing network designs and technician field tools to provide real-time access to the latest procedures and signal level updates.
We’ve made maximizing your HFC network performance easier than ever. Be sure to visit our web site or contact our Global Services team for more information on how we can help your business.
Today, Multichannel News spotlighted ARRIS’s Tal Laufer ARRIS as one of six leading Women in Technology. Multichannel recognized Tal – our Director of Product Line Management for CMTS/CER Products – in the vendor/supplier category for her contributions in developing new architectures that can advance the cable communications industry.
ARRIS is proud of Tal’s accomplishments in addressing some of our industry’s most pressing technology needs. Tal is an integral part of our team driving CCAP and D3.1 leadership, to pave the way for Gigabit services. She is a shining example of the positive impact women can make in our industry.
Congratulations to Tal and to all the women in this year’s Multichannel News’ Annual Women in Technology for their many contributions in driving the cable industry forward.
At this year’s SCTE Cable Tec Expo, ARRIS will demonstrate how operators can use DOCSIS® 3.1 to prepare their networks for a new era of Gigabit services.
Our demos will present a complete ultra high-speed data and integrated video solution for today’s services and tomorrow’s migration to an all-IP network.
They center around our E6000® CER—the industry’s most widely deployed CCAP™ platform. We’ll show it running both DOCSIS 3.1 (D3.1) and DOCSIS 3.0 (D3.0) over multiple D3.1 cable modems (including our newly announced SURFboard® SB8200) and D3.0 gateways (including the ARRIS SURFboard SB6800) connected to a single Downstream Cable Access Module (DCAM).
We’ll demonstrate D3.0 and D3.1 running on eight gateway devices—representing eight homes, one per service group—to show:
- The real-world speeds and services that operators can deliver with D3.1. The D3.1 modem uses a combination of D3.1 OFDM and D3.0 SC-QAMS bonded together to reach these speeds
- CCAP video convergence to four of the homes with traditional QAM video delivery and data speeds of up to 1.8 Gbps through D3.1 modems and 1.0 Gbps through D3.0 gateways
- IP-only households with IP multicast video streaming to IP set tops and 1.8Gbps of data traffic through D3.1 modems and 1.0 Gbps of FTP data traffic through D3.0 gateways
These demonstrations highlight the power, scalability, and flexibility of the E6000 CER platform. The E6000 CER provides simultaneous support for UDP, FTP, IP multicast video, and QAM video traffic, enabling operators to stay ahead of ever increasing network demands—from their own IP video services to OTT video services. All currently deployed E6000 CERs are software-upgradable to support D3.1 in the downstream, providing the investment protection operators need.
ARRIS also will support Intel, VeEX and ViaVi with their SCTE D3.1 demonstrations, which will be driven by our E6000 CER.
Join us in booth #551, as we preview the future of cable through D3.1