Alex Swan, our Senior Director of Marketing, is the newest inductee to the Cable Center’s Cable TV Pioneers. It’s an honor bestowed each year at the Cable Show to industry veterans who represent the “plethora of talent that has and will continue to contribute to the cable industry’s success.” In his 40 years of service to the industry, Alex has contributed his broad knowledge and expertise to a variety of roles including his current position at ARRIS. We caught up with him to find out more about what the award means and to glean his advice for the next generation of cable pioneers.
This week, Light Reading covered the announcement that ARRIS is teaming up with TiVo Inc. to bring the TiVo software platform and cloud-based services to ARRIS set-tops.
Separately, Multichannel News highlighted the recent announcement of ARRIS’s 24-channel multicast streaming solution, which can enable MSOs to deliver “Skinny TV” packages.
Also, FierceCable reported that Suddenlink has begun deployment of the E6000™ Converged Edge Router (CER) from ARRIS.
Furthermore, IP&TV News covered a new study that draws attention towards the increasing popularity of 4K TVs.
Finally, The Wall Street Journal covers data from online ad giant Google stating only about half of video ads across the Web are actually viewable.
Check back next week for the latest industry news.
- Cable Cozies Up to TiVo & OTT (May 5, 2015) By Mari Silbey, Light Reading: What a difference a few years makes. Former upstart TiVo was shunned by the cable industry for the better part of a decade, and Netflix has often ranked as enemy number one both for producing scads of Internet traffic, and for offering a competitive service to cable’s video-on-demand (VoD). Fast forward to today, however, and the cable industry has decided to mend fences all around.
- INTX 2015: Arris Demos ‘Skinny TV’ Approach (May 6, 2015) By Jeff Baumgartner, Multichannel News: Taking aim at the emerging trend toward skinnier pay-TV bundles, Arris is using INTX to show off an IP multicast system that, it claims, is vastly more bandwidth-efficient than unicast streaming systems.
- Suddenlink bolsters 1 Gbps service push with deployment of Arris E6000 edge router (May 5, 2015) By Daniel Frankel, FierceCable: Arris says that its E6000 high-density converged cable access platform (CCAP) has been deployed by Suddenlink Communications, enabling the operator to better offer its customers broadband speeds of 1 Gbps and faster.
- Report: 4K to grow 45% from 2015-2019 (May 8th, 2015) By Thomas Campbell, IP&TV News: Technavio, a tech-focused research firm, has published a new report on the global ultra HD TV market, which is expected to grow at a CAGR of 45% from 2015-2019.
- Only Half of Online Video Ads Are Viewable, Google Says (May 8, 2015) By Jack Marshall, The Wall Street Journal: The online ad industry is facing some push-back. Marketers are increasingly insisting they should only pay for ads that actually appear on users’ screens. However, according to data from online ad giant Google, only about half of video ads across the Web are actually viewable.
This Sunday is Mother’s Day in the United States. If you haven’t bought your mom a gift yet, don’t worry. We’ve got you covered.
How about giving her something that’s smart and simple that she’ll use everyday? How about something that’ll give her a better connection to her friends and family and everything else she loves? Something that also saves her money…
Well then, get her the ARRIS SB6183 SURFboard® Cable Modem. It’s the gift that keeps on giving:
With DOCSIS 3.0 channel bonding on 16 downstream channels, it offers the highest speeds available from a cable modem—meaning she doesn’t have to think about upgrading for years to come. Plus, it can save her average of $9 in modem rental fees on her monthly cable bill (or more than $100 a year).
Not to mention, you’ll thank yourself every time you visit and discover refreshingly fast Internet. You may even consider buying one for yourself…
When you add it up, the SB6183 is probably the best Mother’s Day gift ever.
Happy Mother’s Day, from all of us at ARRIS.
Bob Stanzione, CEO, ARRIS
His enduring contributions to ARRIS and to the industry recognized by Cablefax.
Each year, Cablefax selects the most influential cable executives for recognition in its “Cablefax 100.” This year, that list features Bob Stanzione.
The Cablefax 100 celebrates executives whose “leadership continues to take the industry to new heights,” and Bob’s work over the past year has certainly exemplified this. His vision and ongoing legacy of investing in the right opportunities have exponentially grown our business.
Be sure to check out the latest issue of Cablefax for Bob’s spotlight in the magazine’s coverage of the Cablefax 100.
Our ARRIS Market OTT content library brings a wealth of content to subscribers of the world’s leading service providers. Today, that library will include Pandora, which plays the perfect song at the perfect time for it’s more than 79 million monthly listeners.
“Music is a universal experience that’s unique to every listener, and Pandora captures this special quality perfectly,” said Ron Miller, our VP of Product Management for Consumer Solutions.
Pandora is the first music-streaming app on ARRIS Market. It’s a great example of how we’re enabling service providers to give people the engaging and personalized entertainment that they crave.
Find out more about ARRIS Market here.
This year, The Cable Show is reborn as INTX: The Internet & Television Expo. The organizers bill it as “a new kind of show for a new kind of world,” which is appropriate since we’re showcasing the key technologies and services that operators will need to deliver the future of broadband and entertainment.
Our booth (#101) is right at the front of the exhibit hall and gives INTX’s thousands of attendees a glimpse of the experiences making their way to consumers, including nDVR, Ultra HD, IP video, gigabit speeds, and more.
Some highlights of our demos include our newest range of 4K set-tops and gateways, our cloud and nDVR solutions, and DOCSIS 3.1 network technology. And as a nod to our technology-driven partnership with NASCAR, we’ll be showing our exclusive 4K driving experience, featuring three 4K video streams delivered through a single gateway to three set-tops leveraging our E6000™ CCAP platform.
If you’re here at INTX, stop by booth #101 and check out all of our demos. And for those of you who weren’t able to make it this year, here are a few pictures from Day 1.